Fairfax Pike improvements underway
A nearly three-year construction project bringing improvements to Route 277 (Fairfax Pike) near Stephens City is underway.
The project is about 0.74-mile long, from just east of the I-81 exit 307 interchange to just east of Route 641 (Double Church Road). The Fairfax Pike project will increase traffic capacity, enhance operational safety, and improve the connectivity of the regional roadway system.
Motorists using Fairfax Pike and several intersecting roads should be alert for lane closures, temporary roadway closures, shifting travel lanes and other traffic impacts as follows:
- Stickley Drive (Route 1085) is closed just south of Route 277 through mid-October 2020. A detour route is posted.
- Double Church Road has flagger traffic control on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. through the fall of 2021. This work zone runs from about 0.1-mile north of Fairfax Pike to about 0.2-mile south of Fairfax Pike.
- Fairfax Pike is scheduled for overnight lane closures with flagger traffic control from September 2020 through fall 2022. Lane closures will take place weeknights from 8:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. as needed. Occasional daytime flagging is also possible. Motorists can expect shifting travel lanes during daytime and overnight hours.
- Route 647 (Aylor Road) is being relocated to the east to align with Stickley Drive. This work is not expected to affect traffic until motorists begin using the new portion of Aylor Road in late spring 2022.
- The Town Run Lane (Route 1012) intersection with Fairfax Pike will have its traffic signal permanently removed by fall 2022. Access to Town Run Lane will be restricted to right-turn-in, right-turn-out.
Individuals can now watch a new video on VDOT’s Youtube channel called “Pardon Our Dust” that offers details about the project and its expected traffic impacts. The video is available at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GsF9LaWQ-M.
For more news from across the Shenandoah Valley, click here.
News_one temporary roadway closures, shifting travel lanes, traffic impacts, pardon our dust video, route 1012, town run lane, fairfax pike project, route 277, double church road, Route 641, Aylor Road, Fairfax Pike, Stickley Drive, Lane Closures, Virginia Department of Transportation, Route 647