Front Royal Police Getting Reports of Packages Stolen Off Porches
19 December 2017 News
The Front Royal Police Department has received several complaints of packages that have been stolen off the porches of residences during the past two weeks. Citizens are encouraged to call Police to report a theft or any suspicious vehicle and/or person in their neighborhoods. “We are asking residents to be good neighbors and if they see something suspicious to call the police,” Chief Magalis said. “These are crimes of opportunity, with many package thefts occurring during daylight hours. Thieves are known to follow delivery trucks during this time of year and will take the package right off your front steps.”
To reduce the chances of being victimized by package delivery thieves, the Front Royal Police Department offers the following advice:
• Track your shipment: All the major delivery companies offer package tracking, some providing phone/text alerts of the shipping progress.
• Choose a shipping option that requires you to sign for delivery.
• Schedule your delivery for a specific date and time that you’re expected to be home.
• Arrange to have package shipped to another location where someone can receive it such as your workplace, a friend or relative’s home, or with a trusted neighbor.
• Have the delivery service hold the package for customer pick-up at their facility.
• Set up a Hold Mail Service with USPS if you plan on traveling during the holidays.
• If the item was delivered and you did not receive it, report the theft or loss to the original company, the shipping company, and the Front Royal Police Department’s non-emergency line at (540) 635-2111.