Handley Regional Library System releases community usage report
Handley Regional Library System released the annual library usage stats from July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020. Overall reports showed continued community usage despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
The report reflects program and service usage at all three library locations – Handley Library, Bowman Library and Clarke County Library. These stats, along with others, are reported annually by the library system for funding and analysis of additional initiatives.
Overall Service and Library Usage
- 275,614 patrons of all ages visited the library
- 656,937 physical and digital materials were borrowed from the library. This includes books, Wi-Fi hotspot devices, digital tablets, e-books, audiobooks, music downloads, and streaming movies and television.
- 48,064 total Wi-Fi internet hours logged by patrons inside and outside the buildings
- 26,898 sessions of internet stations occurred resulting in 21,136 total in-library internet hours
- 3,550 library cards were issued
- 1,339 patrons visited the Stewart Bell Jr. Archives at Handley Library
- 399 meeting room reservations occurred and 3,177 study rooms were used
- 8,123 hours of volunteer work completed
- 4,200 adults attended 204 programs
- 1,325 programs for kids and families – in the library, virtually, and at library sponsored events – occurred with 43,527 total attendees
Key Patron Service and Delivery Initiatives Implemented for the Year
- Installation of RFID Self-Checkout Kiosks at all 3 locations
- Implementation of Automated Book Return/Material Handley at Bowman Library
- Enhanced focus of STEAM activities and programs for kids and teens
- Tech Tuesdays Technology Classes for Adults
- Expansion of 1455 Author Talk Series
- Launched the first Push Your “Shelf” Challenge to incentivize patrons to try something new at the library – from using a database to downloading an eBook for the first time.
- Remote Printing PrintMe Service
- Online Streaming Movies, TV, music, and more with Hoopla
- Continued partnerships with community and business networking groups for presentation and advocacy of library services
For more news from across the Shenandoah Valley, click here.
News_one community usage report, annual library usage stats, continued community usage despite COVID-19 pandemic, library programs, key patron service and delivery initiatives, 275614 patrons visited the library, library cards, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library System, Clarke County Library, Handley Regional Library, Bowman Library