Home
  • Home
  • Improper Heating Leads to House Fire

Improper Heating Leads to House Fire

22 October 2019 Front Royal/Warren County News


October 22, 2019

FRONT ROYAL – A home in the 8000 block of Winchester Rd. in Front Royal caught fire Sunday afternoon. The Warren County Department of Fire and Rescue Services responded to the scene and contained the blaze. The home was severely damaged.

Firefighters responded to a call of a fire on Winchester Rd. shortly after 3:00pm on Oct. 20. A two-story home had caught fire and the only person in the home had escaped along with five dogs. The occupant of the home was asleep when the fire began, their dogs woke them up and alerted them to the blaze. Fire Crews took 10 minutes to contain the fire.

Warren county Fire Marshal’s Office investigators determined the the fire resulted from an upholstered sectional couch being placed too close to an electric baseboard heater. The resulting blaze caused an estimated $60,000 in damages to the home. The occupants of the home were displaced from the fire and assisted by the American Red Cross.

“Heating of the home is the second leading cause of home fires nationwide,” Fire Chief Richard E. Mabie said in a press release. “As the weather turns cold, we remind our community to utilize [fire] safety tips to prevent the unthinkable.”

Those tips include keeping flammable items at least three feet away from heating devices like baseboard heaters and fireplaces, turn off heaters when leaving the room and having furnaces and chimneys professionally cleaned and inspected. More general fire safety tips can be found on the Warren County Fire and Rescue website.

 

For more news from across the Shenandoah Valley and beyond, click here


, , , , , , , , , , , , ,