LFCC to hold welcome week for incoming students
Instead of just one day to welcome students, Lord Fairfax Community College (LFCC) will hold an entire week of informational and introductory sessions for incoming students.
LFCC has a series of online sessions scheduled for new students to provide information on everything from career pathways, to available resources, to what a typical college day is like. Additionally, LFCC swag and important information will be handed out during curbside pickups.
“This year, with physical and social distancing a must, we’ve been given the chance to reinvent our New Student Welcome program, using both the virtual platforms – like Zoom – that we are now so accustomed to using while still keeping up with the traditional in-person festivities, but with a twist,” said Campus Life & Student Engagement Specialist Chris Lambert in a news release.
The informational and introductory sessions are scheduled for Aug. 17-22. Highlights include:
- A New Student Panel that will let students know how they can get involved at the college, and what student life looks like these days. The panel will feature current LFCC students and is at 5:30 p.m. Aug. 17 on Zoom.
- Ask the Faculty: a general question and answer session that will be held on Zoom at 2 p.m. Aug. 20.
- President Kim Blosser, Fauquier Campus Provost Chris Coutts and other college officials will have a special session just for parents and supporters of students to ask questions about LFCC and college resources during a Zoom session at 5:30 p.m. Aug. 19.
- Curbside welcome pickups will be all week at all locations, with varying times.
- Resource chats for everything from campus safety, to online learning, to academic accommodations are planned.
- Zoom sessions on career pathways, including health professions, engineering, business, education, humanities and arts, transfer planning and undecided students are lined up.
The first set of fall classes starts Aug. 24, with some other classes beginning Sept. 8 and Oct. 19. Most classes will be delivered remotely, but some classes that require in-person delivery will be on campus.
Visit lfcc.edu/welcomeday for more information.
For more news from across the Shenandoah Valley, click here.
News_one chris coutts, new student welcome week, lfcc new student welcome week, week of informational and introductory sessions, new student welcome program, campus life & engagement specialist, campus life & engagement specialist chris lambert, new student panel, ask the faculty, Zoom, kim blosser, Career Pathways, LFCC, Lord Fairfax Community College