Ransom E. Olds, an engine builder from Ohio founded the Olds Motor Vehicle Company in Lansing. In 1901, the company, then known as Olds Motor Works, debuted the Curved Dash Oldsmobile, a gas-powered, open-carriage vehicle named for its curved front footboard. By 1904, clashes between Olds and his investors caused him to sell the bulk of his stock and leave the company. He soon went on to found the REO Motor Car Company, which built cars until 1936 and produced trucks until 1975.  In 1908, Oldsmobile was the second brand, after Buick, to become part of the newly established General Motors.  Fast forward to this date in 2004 when the very last Oldsmobile came off the assembly line at the Lansing plant.  The last car, an Alero, was signed by all the workers and moved to Lansing’s R.E. Olds Transportation Museum, where it went on display. The last 500 Aleros ever manufactured featured “Final 500″ emblems and were painted dark metallic cherry red.