Holiday Fire Safety with Warren County Fire Marshal
5 December 2019
We were in the studio today to have a conversation about fire safety during the holiday and winter season with Warren County Fire Marshal, Gerry Maiatico.
We talked about things to consider (and inspect) with a live Christmas tree AND an artificial tree. Gerry gave us some Christmas Tree safety tips to ensure your safety throughout the holiday season. You can download a flyer with more tips here: Christmas Tree Safety Tips
- Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
- Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 2” from the base of the trunk.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
- Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
- Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily.
- Use lights that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
- Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
We also discussed fireplace & wood stove safety including how to properly dispose of ashes and the importance of maintaining your chimney and keeping fresh batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
Janet Michael holiday fire safety, fire safety during the holidays, christmas tree fire safety tips, christmas tree safety tips, fireplace safety tips, wood stove safety tips, fire safety, fire marshal in warren county, free smoke detectors warren county fire, free carbon monoxide detectors warren county fire, jerry miatico, Janet Michael, gerry maiatico, Warren County Fire Marshal, The Valley Today