Community Health: Weight Loss Tips
17 February 2020
We were in the studio with Katlyn Frye, MS, RD, CSOWM, ACSM-CPT, from Valley Health Metabolic & Bariatric Program to get some tips on losing weight in 2019. We talked about the process, how to make smart goals, learn your motivators, identify your barriers and prioritize your goals.
4 Considerations for Making Achievable (Diet) Goals
1. Make it Smart
Smart goals – specific, measureable, attainable, realistic, and time sensitive
2. Motivators – identify what keeps you going
- Is it your health? Your family? Kids? Improved daily function?- Make a list of motivators
- What is your reason for setting your goal?
- Who or what can help you as your work towards your goal?
3. Identify barriers – what stops you?
- What makes achieving this goal a challenge?
- Example goal: Exercise at the gym at least 4 days per week for at least 30 minutes
- Barriers: Childcare; busy schedule(s); access to a facility
4. Prioritize your goals – how can you get there?
Recommend setting 1-2 goals at a time – you may have one large goal, but sometimes setting smaller goals can help get you closer to your larger, overarching goal (such as weight loss)
You can get more details about Valley Health‘s Metabolic & Bariatric Program on their website: https://www.valleyhealthlink.com/Our-Services/Metabolic-Bariatric-Program.aspx