- Contact Us
Frederick County Fire and Rescue (FCFR) responded to the report of a commercial structure fire at Trex on Shawnee Drive in Winchester.
The report was confirmed in a news release from FCFR.
The release states that the fire was reported on Wednesday May 11 at approximately 5:40 p.m..
The Trex Emergency Response Team (ERT) was battling a dust explosion fire at one of the plant’s mixers when FCFR crews arrived on the scene.
FCFR crews assisted the ERT in fire suppression efforts for over an hour to keep the fire from spreading to the 70 yards of piping and the roof of the building.
The fire was fully extinguished by approximately 8:20 p.m. and FCFR units were able to clear the scene.
One Trex employee who was working around the equipment at the time of the dust explosion was treated and released for basic life support injuries at the scene.
No other injuries were reported and dollar damage estimates have not been determined at this time.
The fire was deemed accidental and due to equipment malfunction.
For more news from across the Shenandoah Valley, click here.