SVFD respond to a major house fire before battling the brush fires

page county election coverage

Before helping with all the recent wildfires in the region, the Stanley Volunteer Fire Department (SVFD) reports responding to major house fire on March 20 around 8 a.m.

The homeowner Pamela Hanson could not escape the fire through the front door because of the amount of smoke.

She climbed out an upstairs window with one of her dogs onto the porch roof.

Neighbor Carlton Shifflet heard her cries for help and was able to assist Hanson down off the roof.

Hanson was transported to Rockingham Memorial and treated for smoke inhalation and released.

Unfortunately, a dog and two cats perished in the fire.

Fire Chief Terry A. Pettit credited Shifflett and smoke alarms for saving Hanson’s life.

The home is a total loss sustaining around $300,000 in damage.

Fire units from Luray assisted in the call along with Page County Sheriff’s Office and the Virginia Department of Forestry.

Because of the high winds and the home being in a heavily wooded area the remains of the house and surrounding area were covered in foam.

Hanson is staying with friends and firefighters remained on the scene for nearly 4 hours.

Recent fires displace citizens in Page and Warren Counties

Warren County Fire and Rescue Logo. Used by permission by Warren County Deputy Director of Emergency Services Brian Foley

The Stanley Volunteer Fire Department reports responding to a residential structure fire on January 12 just past 9 p.m.

On arrival Firefighters found a single-story residential structure heavily involved in fire.

It took Firefighters approximately an hour to bring the fire under control.

Crews remained on the scene for approximately 3 hours to ensure the fire was out.

All human occupants of the home escaped but a dog perished in the fire.

Two adults and 5 children meanwhile were displaced by a fire in the Vista Ridge Court area in Front Royal the morning of January 15.

Warren County Fire and Rescue reports that on arrival firefighters found fire coming from the roof of the home.

Fire suppression efforts began immediately to protect adjacent homes.

The fire was taken under control in approximately 40 minutes with no reported injures.

The 7 displaced residents are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The Warren County Fire Marshal’s investigation determined that the fire originated from a faulty light fixture on the outside of the home.

The fire spread to the combustible siding into the attic and roof of the home.

Working smoke detectors are vital in protecting your family.

Contact your local fire department for information on the best and in some cases free smoke detectors for your home.

For more news from across the Shenandoah Valley, click here.