- Contact Us
WCFR responds to another house fire
Warren County Fire and Rescue (WCFR) report being dispatched to the 100 block of Sugar Maple Road at approximately 7:30 the morning of Apr. 11.
Crews arrived to find a single-family dwelling in significant smoke and fire conditions.
Firefighters confirmed that all occupants had escaped the fire before they had arrived.
Two additional engines and a medical unit were called in due the complexity of the conditions.
Firefighters were able to take the fire under control in about 40 minutes and remained on the scene for approximately three and half hours to ensure the fire was completely out.
It was determined that the family cat woke the sole occupant of the home up allowing that person to escape.
However, the cat was later found deceased by firefighters.
The fire Marshals Office determined the fire was caused by improper use of a space heater.
Damage was estimated to be at $100,000 and the home was deemed uninhabitable.
The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross.
Units from Front Royal, Linden, North Warren, Shenandoah Farms, Rivermont, Chester Gap and Fortsmouth assisted on the call.
For more news from across the Shenandoah Valley, click here.