Winchester Parks & Rec 5K to Affect Several Park and City Streets
19 May 2017 News
Winchester Parks and Recreation (WPRD) will host the Girls on the Run 5K May 20 in Jim Barnett Park. Traffic on several interior park roads and external city roads will be affected by the course. Drivers are asked to exercise extreme caution and watch for race attendees, volunteers and participants when traveling in the below-mentioned areas.
City Road Closures:
- One lane of Pleasant Valley Road between Millwood Avenue and Cork Street
- Lowry Drive between Pleasant Valley Road and University Drive
- University Drive between Lowry Drive and Millwood Avenue
- Time: 8 am to 11 am
Due the large number of participants (over 500), WPRD will close the Jim Barnett Park interior roads for the duration of the race and access to various park amenities will be restricted.
Park Road Closures and Restrictions:
- Maple Drive will be closed at Cork Street and Lowery at 8:45 am until the runners have passed these points (estimated to be 11:00 am).
- Limited Access may be gained to the War Memorial Building and Active Living Center from Cork Street via Bridgeforth Drive from 8:45-11:00 am. Those needing to access the War Memorial Building and Active Living Center must be in the parking lot of the buildings no later than 8:45 am. If not in the parking lot by this time, they will not be permitted to proceed until all runners have passed the intersection of Bridgeforth and Oak. There will be Race Marshals, Parks and Recreation staff and/or law enforcement staff posted at all intersections to control traffic flow in the interest of public safety.
Organization with scheduled events in the park this Saturday that may be affected by the road closures include:
- Winchester Swim Team – Must be in the building or out of the parking area prior to 8:45 am
- Special Olympics – Must be in the building by 8:45 am
- Soccer Shots – Must be in the building parking lot by 8:45 There will be no access from Lowery via Maple.
- Winchester Baseball – T-Ball will not have access past the intersection of Bridgeforth and Oak until after 11:00 am
- Handley Baseball – Will have access to Bridgeforth from Cork Street only via Bridgeforth Drive